Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid Registrar

General Questions

Question: Are there any grant and scholarship opportunities?

Answer: Yes, BMCC works with several grant and scholarship programs.

Question: What is the MACRAO Transfer Agreement?

Answer: This agreement is designed to facilitate transfer from community colleges to baccalaureate colleges and universities in Michigan.  The agreement provides for transferability of up to 30 semester credits to meet many (in some cases all) of the General Education Requirements at participating Michigan four-year colleges and universities.  Students may complete the MACRAO Transfer Agreement as part of an associate degree or as a stand-alone certificate.

Question: Can I transfer credit from my previous college?

Answer: Yes, Bay Mills Community College will accept transfer credits from other accredited institutions within certain guidelines.

Question: Is Bay Mills Community College accredited?

Answer: Yes, Bay Mills Community College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission

Question: How do I obtain a copy of my GED if I completed it within the State of Michigan?

Answer: You can complete the form required by Division of Lifelong Learning - GED Testing.

Question: What are co-requisites and prerequisites?

Answer: A class listed as a Co-requisite is required to be taken in conjunction with or before the class in question. A class listed as a Pre-requisite is required to be taken before the class in question.

Question: How do I know if I've completed the application?

Answer: A new student application consists of 4 pages. You will receive an email with a Pin number and you will also receive an email containing the message below:

(Your application has been received by our automated system. It will be processed by our staff between 1-2 business days. Afterward we will send you a formal acknowledgment letter.)

If you do not receive that message, you will need to use the pin number and your email address to log in and finish any missing information.

Question: What is the difference between Student Records and Moodle?

Answer: Student Records is where students can obtain unofficial transcripts, view/print grades and bills and register for classes. It is always accessible unless there is a hold on the student account. Moodle is the online classroom environment and is only available a week before the semester starts and closes at the end of the semester. 

Question: How do I log into Student Records?

Answer: In order to log in, you will need to receive the registration letter containing this information. If you have not received it then your student file is not complete. Make sure that you have sent your OFFICIAL high school transcript and Tribal ID (if you are a tribal member). If you have forgotten your login information you will need to contact Robin Bedell at 906 248-8413.

Question: How do I log into Moodle?

Answer: You will be using the same username and password as your student records login. 

Financial Aid & Tuition Questions

Question: What Happens After I Fill Out the FAFSA?

Answer: After the form is signed and submitted to the Federal Government, an analysis of the information will be released to BMCC. BMCC's Financial Aid Office will send you an award letter listing the forms of aid and the amounts for which you are eligible. When you enroll in classes, you can charge tuition and fees up to the amount of your grant and loans.

Question: What to Do if You Have Already Applied for Financial Aid Or Have Been Selected For Verification

Answer: Students may view their BMCC Student Record account online here. If you were selected for "verification," click here for more information.

Buying Books with Financial Aid

Use your Financial Aid at the AOT (BMCC’S offsite Store) or Circling Eagle (BMCC’S Virtual Bookstore) for current academic year. Click here for more information.

Question: Why am I still considered a dependent student? I'm 21 years old and haven't lived with my parents for years.

Answer: For financial aid purposes, Federal and Michigan financial aid authorities and BMCC consider students dependent until they are 24 years old, or are considered independent by marrying, serving in the military, or having dependents. Students may also be independent if they have been wards of the court or working on a degree beyond a four-year degree.

Question: What kinds of information do I need to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)?

Answer: The FAFSA is one of two documents you must complete to be considered for financial aid at BMCC. (The other is BMCC's own Financial Aid Checklist. You'll need information about last year's income and taxes, usually from Federal Income tax and W-2 forms. If you're a dependent student, your parents will also need to supply their income and tax information. If you've received untaxed income, such as certain Social Security benefits or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, you'll need to include that information as well. You should not send in any tax documents to BMCC unless you are specifically asked to do so.

Question: What is Verification?

Answer: Verification is a process where a BMCC financial aid counselor compares information you provided on your FAFSA with information on tax and income documents. About 3 of every 10 students applying for financial aid at the College are selected for Verification by the Federal Department of Education. If you are selected for Verification, you will be asked to bring in copies of tax and income documents.

Question: What is "Satisfactory Academic Progress"? How does it affect my financial aid?

Answer: To be eligible for financial aid, Federal and Michigan authorities and official BMCC policy require students to be making "Satisfactory Academic Progress."  Each semester the Financial Aid Office monitors students' GPA, and also reviews the success of financial aid students in earning credits toward their degrees and certificates.  Students also need to earn their degrees within a certain number of attempted credits, usually about 90 credits for an Associate degree.

Question: What happens to my financial aid if I drop out during the semester?

Answer: Financial aid is pro-rated for the semester, meaning that aid is earned at a certain rate and not completely provided at the very beginning of the semester.  After the 60 percent point in the semester, all financial aid is considered earned.  Generally, earned aid is subtracted from your bill for tuition, fees, and books.  If earned aid is less than your bill, you will have to pay the balance.

Question: Can you tell me a little bit about educational loans?

Answer: The only loans BMCC participate with at this time are alternative loans. This means that students apply separately for these loans, with forms available from the individual loan companies not the financial aid office.

Question: Why is my financial aid money disbursed so late in the semester?

Answer: Students earn financial aid--which includes educational loans--over the course of the semester. After the 60% point of the semester, all aid is considered earned. By that point all aid usually has been disbursed and any refund due to students has been placed on student accounts.  BMCC 's Business Office then cuts refund checks, which take 2-3 weeks for students to receive by mail.

Question: How is my bill for tuition and fees paid?

Answer: If you've received a financial aid award, your tuition and fees are deducted from it.  Any excess funds--after any allowable charges for books and supplies--come to you as a refund later in the semester.  If your bill isn't covered completely by financial aid, you will need to make arrangements at the beginning of the semester to pay the balance of the bill.

Question: How do I earn college work-study money?

Answer: The key word here is "earn." Unlike grants, such as Federal Pell Grants, work-study awards are maximum amounts that can be earned over the award period through working in approved on- or off-campus jobs.

Question: How are my books and supplies paid?

Answer: If you've signed the BMCC Financial Aid Checklist and Acknowledgement of Credit to Account paperwork, you've given BMCC the right to set up an account for you in the bookstore so you can charge the cost of your books and supplies to your financial aid award.  Note that you will only have an account set up if you have enough financial aid after your bill for tuition and fees is deducted from your award.  If you don't have enough excess aid for books and supplies, you will need to purchase books and supplies with other funds.

Registrar Questions

Questions: What will my classes at BMCC transfer to at other institutions?

Answer: It is up to the receiving school, if and what your courses will transfer as. You should contact the school you plan to transfer to, to get this information.