Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid Registrar Student Services

General Questions

Question: Are there any grant and scholarship opportunities?

Answer: Yes, BMCC works with several grant and scholarship programs.

Question: What is the MACRAO Transfer Agreement?

Answer: This agreement is designed to facilitate transfer from community colleges to baccalaureate colleges and universities in Michigan.  The agreement provides for transferability of up to 30 semester credits to meet many (in some cases all) of the General Education Requirements at participating Michigan four-year colleges and universities.  Students may complete the MACRAO Transfer Agreement as part of an associate degree or as a stand-alone certificate.

Question: Can I transfer credit from my previous college?

Answer: Yes, Bay Mills Community College will accept transfer credits from other accredited institutions within certain guidelines.

Question: Is Bay Mills Community College accredited?

Answer: Yes, Bay Mills Community College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission

Question: How do I obtain a copy of my GED if I completed it within the State of Michigan?

Answer: You can complete the form required by Division of Lifelong Learning - GED Testing.

Question: What are co-requisites and prerequisites?

Answer: A class listed as a Co-requisite is required to be taken in conjunction with or before the class in question. A class listed as a Pre-requisite is required to be taken before the class in question.

Question: How do I know if I've completed the application?

Answer: A new student application consists of 4 pages. You will receive an email with a Pin number and you will also receive an email containing the message below:

(Your application has been received by our automated system. It will be processed by our staff between 1-2 business days. Afterward we will send you a formal acknowledgment letter.)

If you do not receive that message, you will need to use the pin number and your email address to log in and finish any missing information.

Question: What is the difference between Student Records and Moodle?

Answer: Student Records is where students can obtain unofficial transcripts, view/print grades and bills and register for classes. It is always accessible unless there is a hold on the student account. Moodle is the online classroom environment and is only available a week before the semester starts and closes at the end of the semester. 

Question: How do I log into Student Records?

Answer: In order to log in, you will need to receive the registration letter containing this information. If you have not received it then your student file is not complete. Make sure that you have sent your OFFICIAL high school transcript and Tribal ID (if you are a tribal member). If you have forgotten your login information you will need to contact Robin Bedell at 906 248-8413.

Question: How do I log into Moodle?

Answer: You will be using the same username and password as your student records login. 

Financial Aid & Tuition Questions

Question: What Happens After I Fill Out the FAFSA?

Answer: After the form is signed and submitted to the Federal Government, an analysis of the information will be released to BMCC. BMCC's Financial Aid Office will send you an award letter listing the forms of aid and the amounts for which you are eligible. When you enroll in classes, you can charge tuition and fees up to the amount of your grant and loans.

Question: What to Do if You Have Already Applied for Financial Aid Or Have Been Selected For Verification

Answer: Students may view their BMCC Student Record account online here. If you were selected for "verification," click here for more information.

Buying Books with Financial Aid

Use your Financial Aid at the AOT (BMCC’S offsite Store) or Circling Eagle (BMCC’S Virtual Bookstore) for current academic year. Click here for more information.

Question: Why am I still considered a dependent student? I'm 21 years old and haven't lived with my parents for years.

Answer: For financial aid purposes, Federal and Michigan financial aid authorities and BMCC consider students dependent until they are 24 years old, or are considered independent by marrying, serving in the military, or having dependents. Students may also be independent if they have been wards of the court or working on a degree beyond a four-year degree.

Question: What kinds of information do I need to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)?

Answer: The FAFSA is one of two documents you must complete to be considered for financial aid at BMCC. (The other is BMCC's own Financial Aid Checklist. You'll need information about last year's income and taxes, usually from Federal Income tax and W-2 forms. If you're a dependent student, your parents will also need to supply their income and tax information. If you've received untaxed income, such as certain Social Security benefits or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, you'll need to include that information as well. You should not send in any tax documents to BMCC unless you are specifically asked to do so.

Question: What is Verification?

Answer: Verification is a process where a BMCC financial aid counselor compares information you provided on your FAFSA with information on tax and income documents. About 3 of every 10 students applying for financial aid at the College are selected for Verification by the Federal Department of Education. If you are selected for Verification, you will be asked to bring in copies of tax and income documents.

Question: What is "Satisfactory Academic Progress"? How does it affect my financial aid?

Answer: To be eligible for financial aid, Federal and Michigan authorities and official BMCC policy require students to be making "Satisfactory Academic Progress."  Each semester the Financial Aid Office monitors students' GPA, and also reviews the success of financial aid students in earning credits toward their degrees and certificates.  Students also need to earn their degrees within a certain number of attempted credits, usually about 90 credits for an Associate degree.

Question: What happens to my financial aid if I drop out during the semester?

Answer: Financial aid is pro-rated for the semester, meaning that aid is earned at a certain rate and not completely provided at the very beginning of the semester.  After the 60 percent point in the semester, all financial aid is considered earned.  Generally, earned aid is subtracted from your bill for tuition, fees, and books.  If earned aid is less than your bill, you will have to pay the balance.

Question: Can you tell me a little bit about educational loans?

Answer: The only loans BMCC participate with at this time are alternative loans. This means that students apply separately for these loans, with forms available from the individual loan companies not the financial aid office.

Question: Why is my financial aid money disbursed so late in the semester?

Answer: Students earn financial aid--which includes educational loans--over the course of the semester. After the 60% point of the semester, all aid is considered earned. By that point all aid usually has been disbursed and any refund due to students has been placed on student accounts.  BMCC 's Business Office then cuts refund checks, which take 2-3 weeks for students to receive by mail.

Question: How is my bill for tuition and fees paid?

Answer: If you've received a financial aid award, your tuition and fees are deducted from it.  Any excess funds--after any allowable charges for books and supplies--come to you as a refund later in the semester.  If your bill isn't covered completely by financial aid, you will need to make arrangements at the beginning of the semester to pay the balance of the bill.

Question: How do I earn college work-study money?

Answer: The key word here is "earn." Unlike grants, such as Federal Pell Grants, work-study awards are maximum amounts that can be earned over the award period through working in approved on- or off-campus jobs.

Question: How are my books and supplies paid?

Answer: If you've signed the BMCC Financial Aid Checklist and Acknowledgement of Credit to Account paperwork, you've given BMCC the right to set up an account for you in the bookstore so you can charge the cost of your books and supplies to your financial aid award.  Note that you will only have an account set up if you have enough financial aid after your bill for tuition and fees is deducted from your award.  If you don't have enough excess aid for books and supplies, you will need to purchase books and supplies with other funds.

Registrar Questions

Questions: What will my classes at BMCC transfer to at other institutions?

Answer: It is up to the receiving school, if and what your courses will transfer as. You should contact the school you plan to transfer to, to get this information. 

Student Services Questions

Question: Where can I go for tutoring?

Answer: The Learning Center, which is located right next to the Soo Coop Credit Union, is your one place stop for tutoring.

Question: Is there more than just math and English tutors?

Answer: Yes. If you are in need of a tutor in any other subjects, please see Deb Wilson, Dean of Student Services, in the Learning Center, and she will set you up with a tutor that matches your needs.

Question: How do I withdraw from a class?

Answer: Course withdrawal is official only upon completion of the Course Withdrawal Form. Non-attendance does not constitute withdrawal. No withdrawal will be processed based upon a phone call. To properly withdraw from your courses requires completion and signing of the Course Withdrawal Form. Students officially withdrawing from a course after the first ten days of the semester will have their permanent record marked with a "W" for withdrawal.

Question: How do I withdraw from college?

Answer: Students discontinuing their studies at BMCC during the academic year must complete the official Withdrawal Form. Students leaving college without completing the withdrawal form will receive a grade of "F" for all courses. NOTE: Withdrawal from college, after receiving federal financial aid funding, will result in the student financial aid being recalculated, and the student may have to return any unearned aid.

Question: Who do I talk to about disability services?

Answer: Kelly Bedell is the Disability Coordinator for Bay Mills Community College. She is located in the Administration Building, Room 124, and her phone number is 906-248-8432.

Question: Where can I get a test proctored?

Answer: Proctoring services are available at the Learning Center.

Question: Do I need to schedule to have my test proctored?

Answer: Yes, in order to have your test proctored, you will need to schedule for an appointment. Heather Fegan, Learning Center Assistant, is available to schedule appointments either in person, email, or by phone. Her phone number is 906-248-8456; email:

Question: Where can I go to get information on referral services?

Answer: Please see any Student Support Services staff for information on referral services or go to the BMCC website by clicking on the following link: (still need to add link)

Question: Who should I call when I have to miss class?

Answer: If you need to miss class, please refer to your class syllabus for your instructor’s contact information and contact the instructor right away.

Question: Where do I get my textbooks from?

Answer: BMCC has an agreement with Advanced Office Technologies (AOT) to provide textbooks to our on-campus and online students; however, students may purchase their books from any source available. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure he/she has ordered correct textbooks from a reliable source and that the textbooks arrive in time to start their classes. You can view our textbook listings for on-campus and online by clicking on the follow link:

AOT is located near the ball field at 12061 W. Lakeshore Drive. They are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. If you are an online student and need to order books, please email your textbook order to If you have any questions, please call 906-248-8180.

Question: What is the attendance policy?

Answer: Attendance and class participation are extremely helpful in developing a thorough understanding of course material. The BMCC Board of Regents has set a base attendance policy of 70% attendance, which is required in order to receive a grade of “C” or better in the respective course. Individual instructors, with the approval of the Department Chair, may set a course’s attendance policy higher to reflect the requirements of the individual course and discipline of study.

Question: What does an “I” mean on my transcript?

Answer: “I” (Incomplete): Students are responsible for completing the requirements of courses in which they are enrolled by the end of the semester. Grades of incomplete will only be given when the student has completed seventy percent (70%) of the course requirements with a passing grade, and when in the opinion of the instructor, the student has a valid excuse for not completing on time and there is reasonable probability the work can be completed in the extension time. If the student does not complete the course requirements by the end of the extension granted (no later than five weeks after the semester ends), the grade earned up to that date will be recorded. An incomplete grade may affect your financial aid, and you are advised to discuss the matter with the Financial Aid Office.

Question: What extra-curricular activities does the college offer?

Answer: Extra-curricular activities are an integral part of student life at Bay Mills Community College. The college encourages students to participate in all activities and clubs sponsored by the Student Council and Student Services personnel. To learn more about student activities and clubs, please see Deb Wilson, Dean of Student Services.

Question: Where do I go to get my BMCC student ID card?

Answer: Please, see Robin Bedell, Network Manager, located in the Administration Building in Room 112 to get your BMCC student ID card.

Question: Do I need to sign in at the Learning Center?

Answer: Yes, the staff at the Learning Center uses the log in information for reports. It is very important for us to track how the center is used. The log in computer is located right next to the Learning Center Assistant’s desk, and she is available to assist you in logging in.

Question: If I need to speak with an instructor after class hours, how do I find them?

Answer: Take a look at your class syllabus. It will have information on how to contact your instructor by email or phone. There will also be information regarding your instructor’s office hours and location.

Question: How do I get in to see my academic advisor?

Answer: If you know who your academic advisor is, you can ask any staff member and they can direct you to your advisor’s office. If you do not know who your academic advisor is, see anyone in Student Services, and they can help you.